Ontario Power Authority updates saveONenergy’s retrofit program
Sept. 24, 2014 - The Ontario Power Authority (OPA) has announced updates to the saveONenergy RETROFIT PROGRAM that provides additional financial incentives for Ontario businesses to reduce energy used by lighting, heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, refrigeration systems and building plug loads.
By Carey Fredericks
Retrofitting outdated equipment provides cost savings and improves the efficiency of operational procedures and processes. Eligible companies can receive financial incentives worth up to 50 percent of project costs towards modernizing current systems with high-efficiency equipment.
The saveONenergy FOR BUSINESS programs were developed collaboratively by Ontario's local electric utility companies and the OPA to provide businesses with substantial financial incentives to encourage the replacement of existing equipment with energy-efficient equipment and new control systems.
The OPA invites Ontario businesses to join a webinar that will be held on October 2, 2014, at 8 a.m. to review the program changes as well as address questions businesses may have. Join the webinar at www.saveONenergy.ca/program-update.
Key update and new incentives released under the RETROFIT PROGRAM include:
New Prescriptive Lighting Measures
Receive incentives worth up to:
- $638 per LED exterior area light qualifying for DLC Category 1 & 2
- $59 per LED troffers light.
- $12 per LED A shaped lamp.
- $20 per wet location rated LED PAR.
- Lights must be Energy Star qualified and fixtures must be certified by the DesignLights Consortium (DLC).
New Prescriptive Incentives for Variable Frequency Drive and Variable Displacement Air Compressors
- Replace old fixed capacity air compressors with new variable frequency drive or variable displacement air compressors and receive up to $7,500 for compressors and $100 per zero loss drain.
New Engineered Worksheets for Compressed Air Systems
- Incentives are provided at $800 per kilowatt hour or $0.10 per kilowatt of energy savings from reducing system pressure, fixing leaks, installing refrigerated air dryers and zero loss drains.
New Prescriptive Incentives for Commercial HVAC System Upgrades
- Install hotel suite occupancy controls for HVAC and lighting systems and receive up to $67 per controller.
- Upgrade to ECM motors on HVAC fans and receive up to $0.10 per CFM of rated fan capacity.
New Prescriptive Incentives for Reducing Commercial Building Plug Loads
- Receive incentives for Energy Star® rated ice machines of up to $188 machine.
- Install motion sensor activated vending machine controls and receive up to $193 per vending machine control.
New Prescriptive Incentives for Commercial Refrigeration Systems
- Upgrade to ENERGY STAR® freezers and receive up to $672 per freezer
- Upgrade to ENERGY STAR® refrigerators and receive up to $121 per refrigerator
- Upgrade motors in refrigerator and freezer evaporator fans to ECM motors and receive up to $1,130 per motor.
- Upgrade to high efficiency refrigeration compressors and receive up $82 per compressor.
Increased Agribusiness Incentives
- Incentives have been increased for most agricultural focused incentives.
- Examples of the program updates include increased incentives of up to $2,000 to install high volume low speed fans and up to $187 per high efficiency exhaust fan installed.
For more information